Written byAndreas Asprou
Jump to a section ✨
The Instagram algorithm: How do the recommendation and feed algorithm work?
- Instagram aims to provide recommendations to its users – from hashtags to content to who they might want to follow – something you might already notice.
- They determine what recommendations they should be suggesting based on the interests of the users on their platform (that’s you!).
- They do this using a formula that considers “topical authorities.” So, if you were a follower of @grwrady, @jamescharles and @urbandecay, and these channels all post makeup or beauty-related content, Instagram can determine that you would be interested in the topic of makeup or beauty! Simple, right?
- When Instagram does this, they also take into consideration the hashtag groups that you use. They group the hashtags that you might put in your comments or captions, and assign them to specific topics. So, if you used the hashtag #redeyeshadowlook in a post, they may assign this to the topic of ‘makeup’ – which helps them determine that you are a topical authority of ‘makeup’.
- If they decide you are in fact, a topical authority of makeup, then people that are interested in the topic ‘makeup’ will be able to discover your content through hashtag feeds, explore pages and recommended accounts.
How to create a post with multiple topics and high topical coherence
Becoming a topical authority of the broad topic “Coffee” – A case study of @essence.coffee
View this post on Instagram
Even bears are loving BRRREWER 😂 so what are you waiting for to get yours at @kickstarter? The guys (bears🐻) at @orsolaboratoriocaffe have tried it and are loving it! Pic:@orsolaboratoriocaffe __________________________ . . . . . . . #essense #brrrewer #orsolaboratoriocaffè #Kickstarter #coldbrew #turin #morethancoffee #singleorigincoffee #coldbrewcoffee #summercoffee #manualbrewing #welovecoffee #coffeeroasters #mycoffee #igcoffee #coffeealways #caffeineislife #caffeinate #gourmetcoffee #localcoffee #directtrade #singleorigin #coffeecafe #coffeecommunity #thebestcoffee #coffelife #coffeelocal #sustainablecoffee #baristawork #coffeeyouneed
They used highly topical coherent hashtags in their caption
How to Become a Successful Social Media Consultant
Learn everything you need to know on how to become a successful social media consultant.
20 days ago
How to End Up on Instagram’s Explore Page in 2022
The Explore page is where you want to be, but how in the world do you end up there? Let us take you through the various tips and tricks to get your content on Instagram’s Explore Page.
5 months ago
How to Grow Your Business Instagram Account
Don’t know where to start when it comes to growing your Instagram business account? Here’s our breakdown on how to grow fast.
8 months ago