Written byAndreas Asprou
The Instagram algorithm: How does the recommendation and feed algorithm work?
- Instagram aims to provide recommendations to its users – from hashtags to content to who they might want to follow – something you might already notice.
- They determine what recommendations they should be suggesting based on the interests of the users on their platform (that’s you!).
- They do this using a formula that considers “topical authorities.” So, if you were a follower of @grwrady, @jamescharles and @urbandecay, and these channels all post makeup or beauty related content, Instagram can determine that you would be interested in the topic of makeup or beauty! Simple, right?
- When Instagram does this, they also take into consideration the hashtag groups that you use. They group the hashtags that you might put in your comments or captions, and assign them to specific topics. So, if you used the hashtag #redeyeshadowlook in a post, they may assign this to the topic of ‘makeup’ – which helps them determine that you are a topical authority of ‘makeup’.
- If they decide you are in fact, a topical authority of makeup, then people that are interested in the topic ‘makeup’ will be able to discover your content through hashtag feeds, explore pages and recommended accounts.
How to create a post with multiple topics and high topical coherence
How to Understand Your IGTV Performance
IGTV has been a tough nut to crack for creators across Instagram. The platform’s answer to YouTube is a great way of getting longer-form, more value-adding content out into the world, without ha...
1 year ago
Instagram Demographics You Need to Build Your Strategy 2022
When it comes to building your Instagram account, knowing all the metrics and demographics for your Instagram users is going to be hugely important. Here’s how to find out all the details for yo...
3 months ago
Debunking the Top 10 Instagram Myths
In this post, we go through the top 10 Instagram myths that you think might be affecting your account. We also look at how to improve your Insta strategy.
2 months ago