It’s all fun and games heading to make a post on Instagram until you are hit with the caption field and your mind goes blank. Instagram post captions are one of the most important aspects of the post itself and have the possibility to drive the success and reach of your image.
But they can be intimidating and often it feels like a huge hurdle to come up with a strong and simple Instagram caption. At Flick, we care about your content and in this article, we will dissect why they matter, how you can use them, and give you endless examples of simple, short Instagram captions to incorporate into your next post.
Why you need to think about your Instagram captions
Instagram captions help you tell a story
Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words and so theoretically your image on its own has the power to convey everything it needs to, but this isn’t quite how it plays out. Using a caption allows you to add a new tone and a surprising angle to the post, whether that means adding irony, humor, or a touch of your own personality. While a sunny beach picture might already convey the paradise and relaxation that you are experiencing, simple Instagram captions give you the option to tell viewers more about the behind-the-scenes story, like “First vacation in years!” or “Not pictured: Bright red sunburn all over my back.
Boost Your Post’s Engagement
Engagement is a metric that is critical to your Instagram post and profile’s success. It is a metric that essentially means: what ratio of people liked or commented on your post versus the number of people who follow you overall?
The goal—even more than having a ton of followers—is to have high engagement rates of above 5%. By including a caption with more to the story or a humorous angle through simple Instagram captions, you give your viewers more to comment on or to understand from the picture and increase the likelihood that they will engage with your post. Think about it—aren’t you more likely to comment on a post when someone’s caption makes you laugh, think, or somehow inspires you to reach out to that person?
Set the Tone to Build a Personal Brand
Whether you are aiming to grow your following, strive to become an influencer, or are generating interest in your small business on social media, consistently including captions that fit your vibe will help you build a brand voice and establish yourself with context. Over time, continuing to show your sense of humor, intellectual insight, knowledge about a specific topic, or independent take on common situations, people will look forward to following you and seeing what you have to say about the topics they are interested in.
So even taking the extra two minutes to create a short and effective caption will allow you to increase and potentially grow your following.
Boost Your Relatability
By showing your personality, your sense of humor, your insights, and your interests, you will be relatable to followers and potential followers. You open yourself up to the opportunity for people to come across your post, connect with your point of view, and follow you to see more of what you have to say. Without these funny captions, your posts come off as a series of photos in an album, rather than a visual blog or story which is what makes great Instagram profiles compelling and engaging. Allowing viewers to relate to you will encourage you to build the right type of following and aim your content at the appropriate target audience, building your future success on the app.
There Are Many Different Caption Formats to Consider
There is, of course, the typical sentence or phrase, but beyond that consider taking inspiration from some of these other eye-catching forms:
- Use bullet points or lists to stop viewers in their rapid-scroll mode, capture their attention, and get the point across directly and effectively.
- Incorporate quotes so that you don’t always have to be the one coming up with all the content. Find a relevant saying that suits your mood, vibe, and picture and quote that, or jump on a trend by quoting a famous person who connects with the subject matter and topic.
- Use abbreviations to generate interest or trigger people to stop and look up what you are referring to.
- Compose your captions with emoji to make a visual statement, express more emotion, and convey a nuanced tone that others can relate to and share.
Instagram used to limit the character count of captions to a much lower number, but today, users have 2,200 characters available to them as they craft their words—so captions can be longer than you think. But this doesn’t mean that’s the key to success.
Shorter, more direct captions often succeed at capturing attention, conveying a point succinctly, and using more targeted keywords. Plus, coming up with a short caption is surely a more approachable place to start than feeling the pressure of an entirely blank page.
Now It’s Time to Post
So you’ve got your Instagram post all lined up and ready to publish, but what are you going to write as your caption? If the blank screen is slowly mocking you and you’re about to close out of the post altogether because you can’t think of anything to write, don’t worry. We got you. We’ve come up with a list of short, funny, and creative Instagram captions you can post on your Instagram the next time you’re in need of something to say.
Instagram captions for selfies
- A selfie a day keeps the doctor away.
- Oh wow, a selfie.
- But first … let me take a selfie.
- Sometimes I’m in a selfie mood.
- Me, myself, and I
- Selfie Sunday
- I don’t always take a selfie, but when I do …
- *insert caption about taking a selfie here*
- They say a selfie is worth a thousand words.
- Reminding you what I look like.
- Confidence level: A selfie with no filter.
- May your day feel as good as taking a great selfie on the first try.
- Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
- Look at me taking selfies and stuff.
- That sweet selfie life.
Instagram captions for travel
- Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
- You don’t have to be rich to travel well.
- Travel far enough, you meet yourself.
- To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
- Life offers you a thousand chances, all you have to do is take one.
- Paris is always a good idea.
- If a man tires of London, he tires of life.
- “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them — wherever you go.” —Anthony Bourdain
- Leaving on a big jet plane…
- Work. Save. Travel. Repeat.
- BRB. Exploring the world.
- Just crossing this thing off the bucket list real quick.
- Today’s office.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go first?
- Guess where I am…
- Time for an adventure.
- To travel is to live.
- This is what paradise looks like.
- Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.
- Traveling right now, hbu?
- Let the adventure begin.
- Never not exploring.
- To travel is to take a journey into yourself.
- Somewhere on Earth.
- “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” —Lao Tzu
- “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” —Friedrich Nietzche
- “Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.” —John Lennon
- “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” —Joe Kennedy
- “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” —Mae West
- “Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” —Eleanor Roosevelt
- “May you live all the days of your life.” —Jonathan Swift
- “The power of imagination makes us infinite.” —John Muir
- “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, ‘I’m possible!’” —Audrey Hepburn
- “A picture is worth a thousand words.” —Fred R. Barnard
Funny Instagram Captions
- *insert joke here*
- I need a six-month holiday, twice a year.
- Friday, my second favorite F word.
- If I was funny, I would have a good Instagram caption.
- When I feel like giving up on my dreams, I keep sleeping.
- Wine + dinner = winner
- You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy ice cream and that is pretty much the same thing.
- That awkward moment when you’re wearing Nike’s and you can’t do it.
- I’m just a girl, standing in front of a salt, asking it to be a cupcake.
- They said, “Do what you love and money will come to you.” Let’s see what happens. I just ordered tacos.
Seasonal Instagram captions
- Hello, spring!
- April showers bring May flowers.
- Stop and smell the roses.
- Girls just wanna have sun.
- Suns out, buns out.
- Life is better by the pool.
- “Here comes the sun…”
- My favorite color is October.
- Sweater weather is better weather.
- Leaves falling. Autumn calling.
- If it’s snowing, I’m not going.
- Having snow much fun.
- Cozy nights. Good books. Hot chocolate.
- ’Tis the season to be freezin’.
- Do you want to build a snowman?
One word Instagram captions
Motivational Instagram Captions
- The future is bright.
- There is no limit.
- Don’t stop now.
- A person who never made a mistake never tried anything.
- If it was easy, everyone would do it.
- I bend, but I don’t break.
- The smallest change can make the biggest difference.
- If you want opportunity to knock, it’s time to build a door.
- It always seems impossible until it’s done.
- Keep going.
FAQand Key Takeaways
How do you write a short, catchy caption?
- Know who you’re talking to. Remember to always keep your audience in mind when writing a caption! Will they respond better with something short and sweet? Funny? Sassy? Remember to always think about your audience when you write your caption!
- Know your brand voice. What does this mean? Well, how do people think of your voice when they read your posts? Be sure to keep your voice consistent across all of your posts.
- Ask questions! If you can’t think of anything funny or clever, ask your audience a question. Not only will it help your audience engage with your photo, but it might also help you figure out new content to create in the future.
Best Practices on Writing the Best Instagram Captions
Seize the Short Attention Span!
People’s attention spans are getting shorter and shorter—no thanks to apps like Instagram which have us scrolling at unfathomable speeds through thousands of posts of content. A strong and simple Instagram caption has the power to stop a viewer in their tracks, make them pause on a post, and potentially like or comment.
Plus, with this ever-shrinking attention span, the first line of your caption is truly your only chance to capture the viewer, which is why short captions perform well in general; they eliminate extra fluff, don’t waste anyone’s time, and get straight to the point of adding value to each viewer’s experience.
Speaking of adding value…
The caption is truly your opportunity to show other Instagram users why you are worth following. By demonstrating who you are and what you offer—aesthetic value, insight about a hobby or niche they might be into, knowledge and information on a particular topic, or entertainment and humor—you will successfully gain the right target audience, increasing your engagement and following moving forward.
Put yourself in the position of your followers and truly ask: why would I even be worth following? Your captions are your time to offer that value, and they don’t need to be long, complex, or in-depth to be effective.
Make Your Posts Informational (If That’s Your Style)
The same beach photo we mentioned above could be accompanied by a caption that includes an interesting fact, a book recommendation, or a recommendation about the surrounding area, resulting in an entirely different tone and value proposition.
By personalizing your Instagram captions and taking an informational approach, you offer viewers and followers an automatic reason to be following your page and a demonstration of what you add to their experience as they will see that you offer new information within captions for your Instagram posts.
Make Use of the Guides Feature
If you are taking this informational route, consider developing an Instagram guide using their newer features to link a series of posts together, working your captions almost as chapters. By telling a story through a series of posts, you keep viewers interested and encourage them to refer back to your profile to find the rest of the information, driving your engagement ratings and increasing the likelihood of followers sharing or recommending posts to other people in their network.
Captions Are a Great Sales Opportunity
Within a short caption, you can direct your viewers to see the link in your bio for new work, new releases, recommendations, or to visit your website. You can also discuss promotions, sales, and offers if you are a business, and drive-up anticipation for a new release or product. With Instagram captions, you can get the word out there and direct people to all of your platforms and other online presences to increase business, visibility, and outreach.
At Flick, we cannot stress the importance of hashtags enough, and incorporating even a few effective hashtags within your caption will allow you to drive the potential of organic reach within your post, and access users who share your interests and subject niche. Hashtags are a great way to express ideas as well. Even captions that don’t contain any normal text and instead have three bold hashtags have the power to tell a story, make a joke, join a trend, or make a statement.
Boost Your SEO
While you cannot blatantly search for content based on caption text, the Instagram algorithm is indeed using this content to generate related content and your explore page. Every user has a unique explore page built around their own demonstrated interests and niches as a result of people you follow and posts you engage with. The text you use in your caption has the power to drive which explore pages you show up on and which topics or categories Instagram thinks your post is related to, thus boosting your SEO. Instagram’s AI will recognize well-written and effective captions and use keywords to push your content out there.
Are captions important?
Yes! Captions are incredibly important. Not only can it highlight the photo and help engage your audience with your post, but it allows your account to be more searchable!